• Search

Gunman Accused Of Shooting Cop Was Out Of Jail Due To Spelling Error

Indianapolis, IN – The repeat violent offender accused of shooting a rookie Indianapolis police officer while out on parole last month had been allowed to bond out of jail weeks before the attack due to his first name being misspelled.

Investigators said 31-year-old convicted felon Mylik Hill shot Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) Officer Thomas “Tommy” Mangan in the neck during a foot chase on Feb. 27, WXIN reported.

Officer Mangan survived the attack, but suffered severe damage to his voice box and Adam’s apple, according to police.

Police said Hill was out on $500 bond for his alleged role as a getaway driver for a suspect who stole a television and $1,000 worth of various items from an Indianapolis Walmart store when the shooting occurred, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Questions were soon raised about why a violent parolee was allowed to walk out of jail on a low bond after being charged with yet another felony, according to WXIN.

Marion Superior Court Presiding Judge Amy Jones said the court had no idea Hill was on parole because the spelling of his first was one letter different than the spelling listed on his Department of Corrections records.

“When our pretrial supervision folks do a cross-check with the Department of Correction, they do it by name, so that case in which he had served a sentence in the Department of Correction, his name was spelled differently,” Jones said, according to WXIN. “His name was spelled ‘Mylak.’”

“Normally, law enforcement is able to sort out a lot of those issues because they have a lot of databases at their disposal whether it’s the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, other types of databases they can consult, have picture ideas, also have some cross-checking that way,” the judge explained, “and unfortunately in this situation, when we did that initial check, there just wasn’t anything that indicated he was actually on parole.”

As a result, no one linked Hill with the outstanding parole violations and warrants listed under the name of “Mylak Hill,” WXIN reported.

“They proceeded with the interview and the bond was set as if it were his only pending case,” Jones told the news outlet. “It’s an outright arrest on a level six felony, and they went ahead and set the bond accordingly.”

Indianapolis Fraternal Order of Police President Rick Snyder was bewildered over how Hill wasn’t linked to his own criminal records, WXIN reported.

“How in the hell did the system not catch that this is the same person?” he asked.

Jones said she does not believe situations like Hill’s are commonplace, WXIN reported.

“If it’s the position of the courts that something this small, minute and miniscule as this could cause this to occur, then we’ve got bigger problems than we thought we had,” Snyder said.

Snyder argued that ongoing problems with the criminal justice system’s electronic records have been a topic of discussion for years.

“We are not just pointing to problems, we’re pointing to solutions,” the union president told WXIN. “We have been working for three years to say there are significant gaps in the electronic records system involved in the criminal justice system. We’ve showed example after example for three years where this has occurred.”

Jones said officials have not determined why the first name spelling was different in Hill’s DOC records than in all of his other state court records.

“I don’t know where that spelling came from,” the judge told WXIN. “You don’t know if it was a typographical error somewhere along the way, it’s hard to say.”

She also said she believes those responsible for looking into Hill’s background did the best they could.

“It’s certainly very difficult circumstances and a unique situation, but I do think that all of the parties that were involved did do what they were supposed to do with the information they had at the time,” Jones told WXIN.

The series of events leading to the shooting of Officer Mangan began shortly after 10 p.m. on Feb. 27, when the IMPD received a report of a crash in the 1600-block of Lexington Avenue, WXIN reported.

The caller noted that a man in a red car was intoxicated and “acting strange” and that he was last seen traveling southbound on State Street, according to police.

The caller further reported that a man in a red jacket had exposed himself, according to police.

With the help of witnesses, officers located the suspect and the vehicle in the 1600-block of Woodlawn Avenue, WXIN reported.

The IMPD said that when the two uniformed officers exited their fully-marked patrol vehicles, the suspect took off running, ignoring their commands to stop.

They chased the suspect into the alley north of Woodlawn Avenue, where the suspect opened fire on them, according to police.

One officer, a rookie still in field training, was shot in the attack, WXIN reported.

Police returned fire, hitting the suspect before he ran off, according to the IMPD.

With the help of a drone, officers later found him in the backyard of a home located in the 900-block of Dawson Street.

Investigators said they located a gun next to the suspect when they placed him under arrest, WXIN reported.

Hill had open warrants for resisting law enforcement and theft at the time of the shooting, WXIN reported.

He was also wanted for violating parole in connection with prior convictions of possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and robbery.

Hill was arrested on charges of felony theft and two counts of resisting law enforcement as recently as Jan. 31, WXIN reported.

He walked out of jail on a $500 cash bond the following day.

That incident stemmed from allegations he acted as the getaway driver for a suspect who stole a television and $1,000 worth of various items from an Indianapolis Walmart store, the Indianapolis Star reported.

After they loaded the stolen merchandise into the vehicle he was driving, Hill allegedly led police on a high-speed chase, then bailed out on foot, according to WXIN.

He was ultimately apprehended by IMPD K9 officers and Butler police.

Hill also has prior convictions for theft and burglary.

In 2011, he was convicted of armed robbery and sentenced to 15 years in prison, WXIN reported.

He was released after serving just eight-and-one-half years.

“Some mistakes I believe I will never make again, like jeopardizing my life and freedom,” Hill wrote in a letter to the court in 2018, asking to be placed in a work release program. “I would actually like to apologize to my victims.”

“I’m no longer involved in misconduct in any way shape form or fashion,” he added, according to WXIN. “I know what is truly right. I know the price of crime doesn’t pay at all.”

Hill was released from prison in Feb. of 2021 and absconded from parole less than a year later.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."