• Search

Gunman Accused Of Murdering Toddler Released From Jail Due To Clerical Error

Memphis, TN – A man accused of murdering a toddler in a fit of road rage was mistakenly released from jail on Tuesday due a massive typo at the Shelby County court clerk’s office.

Tylan McCray has been charged with first-degree murder, employment of a firearm, and attempted murder in connection with the 2017 shooting death of two-year-old Laylah Washington, WREG reported.

When he appeared in court on Aug. 17, the judge set his bond at $15 million.

But when the court clerk’s office went to enter the bond information into the computer system after the hearing, what should have been a $15 million bond was recorded as just $15,000, WREG reported.

Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich later confirmed that “someone in the clerk’s office mistakenly entered the bond into the system as $15,000.”

The clerical error was soon identified, but not before the accused killer had posted bond and been released from jail, WREG reported.

Police immediately began searching for him.

“They told me they had [Tennessee Bureau of Investigation] out looking for him,” Laylah Washington’s mother, Leslie Washington, told WREG. “I really was heartbroken because I felt like the justice system had failed us again.”

Leslie Washington said it was terrifying to know she could have bumped into her daughter’s alleged killer out on the street.

“I could’ve been out somewhere and spotted him or he spotted me,” she told WREG. “That’s scary with him already attempting to kill me and my other kids.”

Police apprehended Tylan McCray and had him back in custody Wednesday afternoon.

A spokesperson at the court clerk’s office said the mistake has been addressed, but refused to answer questions regarding whether or not the employee who entered the bond information incorrectly was disciplined, WREG reported.

“They need to take their jobs a little more serious, especially when you’re dealing with criminals, murderers and rapists,” Leslie Washington told the news outlet. “I think the person needs to be reprimanded for their actions.”

Two-year-old Laylah Washington was fatally shot on June 11, 2017, as she was traveling with her mother on Kirby Parkway near Castle Creek in a white Nissan Maxima, WHBQ reported.

Investigators said the toddler’s mother apparently got into an argument with another driver just before the gunfire erupted, according to WZTV.

Laylah died from her gunshot wounds two days after the attack.

More than a year passed before Tylan McCray and his cousin, 20-year-old Brandon McCray, were arrested in connection with the little girl’s murder, WZTV reported.

Brandon McCray, who was driving the vehicle, faces an accessory charge.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."