New York, NY – Former Vice President Joe Biden and outspoken liberal actor Robert DeNiro received suspicious packages on Thursday similar to the pipe bombs received by other Democratic luminaries earlier in the week.
In response to the threat, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced late Wednesday night that he was bringing in the National Guard to assist with security, WABC reported.
“Out of an abundance of caution, I am deploying 100 additional National Guard soldiers and directing State law enforcement to double security at vital assets across New York, including LaGuardia and JFK, mass transit systems, and bridges and tunnels,” the governor said.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation lab at Quantico has begun testing on the crude pipe bombs found inside packages sent to former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, liberal billionaire donor George Soros, former Attorney General Eric Holder, former CIA Director John Brennan, and U.S. Representative Maxine Waters (D-California).
The package addressed to Biden was found in the postal facility near his home, FOX News reported.
Authorities swept the former Vice President’s Wilmington, Delaware home on Wednesday, and found nothing suspicious.
The check was done as a precautional measure after Obama, Clinton, and Brennan’s suspicious packages were discovered. Biden no longer receives U.S. Secret Service protection, FOX News reported.
Photos of the packaging on the pipe bomb intended for Biden showed it looked very much like the pictures CNN shared of the package their newsroom received.
The return address on the package to Biden was U.S. Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose name appeared as the sender on several of the packages sent.
On Wednesday, Wasserman Schultz received the package intended for Holder at her Sunrise office because of a bad address.
The suspicious package sent to DeNiro was found early Thursday morning in the mailroom of his production company in New York.
Security at the Tribeca Film Center contacted the New York Police Department (NYPD) because the package looked similar to the one received by CNN the day prior, FOX News reported.
The NYPD Bomb squad was called to examine the package, and they determined it should be removed to an off-site facility, called Rodman’s Neck, in the Bronx for detonation – the same way they handled the package sent to CNN on Oct. 24.
An X-ray of the contents of the package revealed it contained a pipe bomb similar to what was found on Wednesday, The Washington Post reported.
“A suspicious package was received. We called the police. They took it out and went through all safety procedures,” the Tribeca Film Center wrote in a statement, according to FOX News. “It was addressed to Robert De Niro and is similar packaging to the others. It is an open investigation. Everyone is safe and the building is open.”
Thursday’s suspicious packages bring the total sent thus far to nine. None of the packages actually made it to their intended recipients.
The FBI said there could still be other packages that have not yet arrived or been discovered.
The devices have been described by authorities as pipes stuffed with explosive material and wrapped in electrical wire and tape, The Washington Post reported.
An anonymous police source told the New York Times that they were investigating if the bombs were designed not to explode, leading social media users to jump to the conclusion that the bombs were actually inoperable.
However, officials have given no detail on detonation methods or effectiveness estimates.
Democrats attacked President Trump at full force on Wednesday night, blaming his rhetoric for the bombing spree.
Several of the package recipients had been criticized by the Trump administration for encouraging and endorsing violence from their supporters against supporters of President Trump.
“We have to unify. We have to come together,” the President said on Wednesday about the suspicious packages. “Acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the United States of America.”
Later, he tweeted about fake news being a big part of the problem and got pushback from the former CIA director.
9/11 NYPD Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik said that he walked off the set of CNN for politicizing the bombs.