• Search

Ghislaine Maxwell Stops Fighting Release Of Identities Of Men Named In Victim’s Lawsuit

New York, NY – After a victim of Jeffrey Epstein fought for years to have to have the names of eight “John Does” in her lawsuit unsealed, attorneys for Ghislaine Maxwell announced they would no longer fight to keep the identities of those men a secret.

“Each of the listed ‘Does’ has counsel who have ably asserted their own respective privacy rights,” Maxwell’s attorney, Laura Menninger, wrote in a letter to District Judge Loretta Preska, according to Insider.

Menninger said in her letter that Maxwell wanted to leave it to the court to decide whether the names should be revealed.

But Maxwell doesn’t make the ultimate decision in the matter, Insider reported.

Six of the eight “John Does” listed in the lawsuit have filed their own motions objecting to the unsealing of the court documents that would make their identities public, according to the MailOnline.

It wasn’t known if Prince Andrew was one of those who had objected to having the court documents unsealed.

Court filings showed that John Doe 17 told the judge that he wanted his name to remain private because revealing it would case “annoyance and embarrassment,” the MailOnline reported.

John Doe 151 told the court he was ‘”trying to live a private life” and that he would be “hounded” by the media if he is name was disclosed.

Sigrid McCawley, an attorney for Epstein and Maxwell victim Virginia Giuffre, wrote in court filings that there was no reason for the documents to remain under seal after Maxwell’s criminal trial ended, the MailOnline reported.

The announcement that Maxwell was withdrawing her objection to unsealing the names of the men whom Giuffre had accused came on the heels of an announcement from Buckingham Palace that Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II had stripped her youngest son of his military honors and royal titles one day after a U.S. judge refused to dismiss the lawsuit against him.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan for the Southern District of New York said on Jan. 12 that Giuffre’s lawsuit against the royal, whom she has accused of sexually abusing her when she was 17 years old, could proceed, NBC News reported.

Attorneys for His Royal Highness Prince Andrew had tried to block the lawsuit earlier in January by releasing the details of a $500,000 settlement Giuffre had taken from Epstein to not to bring further legal action.

Epstein allegedly committed suicide while he was being held in a Manhattan jail awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Maxwell, a British socialite, was convicted on Dec. 29, 2021 of sex trafficking juveniles for Epstein.

Prince Andrew’s attorneys had previously argued that Giuffre had no grounds to file the lawsuit in the United States because she now resides in Australia, NBC News reported.

Kaplan also rejected that motion to dismiss.

Giuffre, now 38, has accused Epstein and Maxwell of forcing her to have sex with Prince Andrew on multiple occasions in the 1990s, NBC News reported.

Queen Elizabeth’s youngest son has denied the allegations.

Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, told BBC in a 2019 interview that he had “no recollection” of ever having met Giuffre and suggested the notorious picture of him and the young girl with Maxwell may have been doctored, NBC News reported.

Giuffre’s lawsuit accused Prince Andrew of having abused her in London, in New York, and on Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, all before she turned 18 years old.

Kaplan said on Wednesday when he allowed the case to go forward that it was premature for the prince to try to cast doubt on the woman’s story and said he would have the opportunity to do so at trial, NBC News reported.

Sarah Krissoff, a former federal sex trafficking and crimes against children prosecutor for the Southern District of New York, said Prince Andrew should think about settling with Giuffre before the case goes to trial.

“Given Judge Kaplan’s denial of the motion to dismiss and with case now moving into the discovery phase, it would be prudent for Prince Andrew’s team to reconsider and explore the possibility of a settlement,” Krissoff told NBC News in an email. “Otherwise, this case is most likely heading towards a very public trial. It is unlikely that Prince Andrew wants that to happen.”

Giuffre’s legal team applauded the judge’s decision, NBC News reported.

“Ms. Giuffre is, of course, pleased that Prince Andrew’s motion to avoid a trial has been denied, and that the evidence will now be taken concerning her claims,” attorney David Boies said. “She looks forward to a judicial determination of the merits of those claims.”

Buckingham Palace announced on Jan. 13 that Prince Andrew had been stripped of some of his royal duties and affiliations, NBC News reported.

“With The Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen,” the palace’s statement read. “The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."