• Search

Georgia Cop Shot After Pursuit Of Stolen Vehicle, 2 Arrested Following Massive 16-Hour Manhunt

Chamblee, GA – Two suspects wanted in connection with shooting a Chamblee police officer in the head after a pursuit involving a stolen vehicle have been arrested, bringing a daylong manhunt to an end.

The series of events leading to the suspects’ apprehension began at approximately 12:20 a.m. on Nov. 1, when a license plate reader alerted the Chamblee Police Department (CPD) about a stolen vehicle that was also believed to be connected to an armed robbery incident, WXIA reported.

Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver allegedly refused to pull over, WAGA reported.

“They located a vehicle, found out that this vehicle was not only stolen but was carjacked, so we gave chase, chased from our jurisdiction to DeKalb County here on Briarcliff Road,” CPD Captain Chris Findley said.

The driver ended up crashing the stolen vehicle near Briarcliff Way and Briarcliff Road, WAGA reported.

The two suspects then allegedly bailed out of the wreckage and took off on foot while shooting at the responding officers, according to police.

“The suspects wrecked out, got out of the vehicle and as our first officer responded behind the vehicle, they open fire on the vehicle,” Capt. Findley told WAGA.

The patrol car was hit multiple times.

One officer was shot in the head during the attack.

He was immediately rushed to a local hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, WAGA reported.

“It could’ve been a lot worse,” Capt. Findley said. “He got shot in the head, but basically it was a glancing wound, so he’s very lucky at this point.”

The wounded hero’s identity was not immediately released.

Additional officers were able to apprehend one of the two alleged gunmen near the scene of the crash, WAGA reported.

That suspect’s identity was not immediately released.

Police launched a massive manhunt for the second suspect in the wake of the shooting, WXIA reported.

Resident Eric Ponder said he heard as many as five gunshots before police swarmed the area.

SWAT officers went door-to-door throughout the neighborhood while other units patrolled the residential streets and combed through backyards.

“It was pretty crazy. SWAT was just in our yard looking maybe two, three hours ago looking around,” Ponder told WXIA.

Neighbor Mary Joe Parish told WAGA she heard helicopters circling overhead “for an extended period of time.”

Officers ultimately apprehended the second suspect approximately 16 hours after the search began.

He has been identified as 31-year-old Oscar Arreola, WXIA reported.

Arreola has been charged with aggravated assault on a peace officer.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."