• Search

Fugitive Shoots Cop, Steals Patrol Car In Multi-State Violent Crime Spree

Palestine, AR – A fugitive accused of opening fire on a house in Georgia and shooting a police officer in Tennessee was apprehended in Arkansas after a standoff with police on Tuesday night.

The suspect’s multi-state crime spree began in Cobb County, Georgia, where 28-year-old Cody James Dimmett allegedly shot up a residence after the people inside refused to let him take part in their game night on Sunday, the Arkansas Times reported.

Dimmett fled to Alabama, where Hoover police ended up in a pursuit with him on Monday, according to WREG.

Details regarding what precipitated the chase are unclear, but police said they ended up calling off the pursuit.

Shortly before 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Southaven Police Officer Roy Hurst spotted Dimmett’s vehicle in Mississippi and ran his license plate, WREG reported.

Officer Hurst, who is a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Safe Street Task Force, soon learned the suspect was wanted out of Georgia, so he continued following him into South Memphis, according to WREG.

Officer Hurst made contact with Dimmett in the area of Rivergate Drive and Mallory, Southaven Police Chief Macon Moore said in a press release.

At some point during their interaction, the suspect allegedly opened fire on Officer Hurst, shooting him in the arm, WREG reported.

He then jumped behind the wheel of Officer Hurst’s unmarked patrol vehicle and sped off towards St. Francis County, Arkansas, police said.

Officer Hurst was rushed to Region One hospital in Memphis, where he was treated for a “through and through” gunshot wound, WREG reported.

He has since been released from the hospital, Chief Moore said.

As Dimmett came barreling into St. Francis County on Interstate 40, Palestine police spotted him speeding and tried to pull him over, WREG reported.

The suspect refused to surrender and ended up crashing the stolen patrol car on County Road 130, according to the news outlet.

St. Francis County Sheriff Bobby May said the gunman then took up refuge behind a house, leading to a six-hour standoff, WREG reported.

Dimmett was ultimately apprehended by a SWAT team at approximately 7:30 p.m.

He was taken into custody without further incident and has since been booked into the St. Francis County Jail, Sheriff May told WREG.

The FBI Memphis Division is handling the ongoing multi-state investigation, Chief Moore said.

“The Southaven Police Department has been overwhelmed by support from our citizens and from our law enforcement partners during this event,” he added. “We ask that you keep our injured officer and other officers that were involved in resolving this situation in your prayers.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."