• Search

Fugitive Accused Cop-Killer Fatally Shoots Himself As Police Close In

Riverdale, GA – The manhunt for the gunman accused of murdering Henry County Police Officer Paramhans Desai came to an end Tuesday evening when the suspect fatally shot himself as police were closing in on him.

The incident occurred after investigators discovered 22-year-old Jordan Jackson was hiding out with friends in an apartment complex located in the 6700-block of Church Street, WAGA reported.

Law enforcement officers from the Henry County Sheriff’s Office, the Clayton SWAT unit, the U.S. Marshal’s Service, and the Georgia State Patrol confirmed the suspect’s location at approximately 5 p.m. and conducted surveillance on him while nearby residents were evacuated, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Henry Police Chief Mark Amerman said during a press conference late Tuesday that Jackson barricaded himself in a room when police entered the residence.

They were just feet away from Jackson when he fatally shot himself prior to being captured, Chief Amerman said.

The reward for information leading to Jackson’s arrest was up to $70,000 as of Tuesday night, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

“No matter where he is, he’s gonna get caught,” Chief Amerman vowed just hours before the alleged cop-killer was located.

“Let this be a warning and reminder to anyone contemplating any crime let alone a crime of this magnitude where it involves one of our own,” Henry County Sheriff Reginald Scandrett told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an emailed statement late Tuesday. “It doesn’t matter how many days it takes, how much sleep we lose, we will hunt you down and find you.”

“To the family of Officer Desai, this will not take away the pain but, hopefully, they can get some rest and start the healing process,” Sheriff Scandrett added.

The shooting that led to Officer Desai’s death occurred at approximately 6 p.m. on Nov. 4, when Henry County police were dispatched to a report of a domestic disturbance in the area of Floresta Drive and Keys Ferry Road in McDonough, the HCPD said in a press release.

Shortly after arriving at the scene, Officer Desai was attempting to arrest Jackson when Jackson opened fire on him, according to police.

“All of us all a sudden heard two gunshots,” a witness told WAGA. “I looked straight forward and that’s when I saw the officer’s hand go over his chest. He fell straight back on the driveway, I turned around, told my son to run. We all three ran. Hid in a neighbor’s garage.”

A warrant for aggravated assault was issued for Jackson shortly after the shooting.

Officer Desai was rushed to Piedmont Henry Hospital, but the severity of his wounds required him to be diverted to the Grady Memorial Hospital trauma center, WAGA reported.

He remained hospitalized until he succumbed to his wounds Monday night.

Officer Desai was surrounded by his family when he passed away, the HCPD said in a press release.

Officer Desai, a 17-year law enforcement veteran, served with the Georgia Department of Corrections and the DeKalb County Police Department prior to joining the HCSO in October of last year, WAGA reported.

He leaves behind his wife and two young children.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."