Albuquerque, NM – A fifth-grade student thought the marijuana edibles her parents kept in the refrigerator were regular candy, and took them to school to share with other students on Jan. 11.
Several students ate the medicinal marijuana gummy bears and reported symptoms of being under the influence of marijuana at the Albuquerque School of Excellence, according to KRQE-TV.
“She had this box, it had a label on it that said ‘Incredibles.’ We just thought it was ordinary gummies,” said a 9-year-old student who ate the edibles, according to the KRQE.
The 9-year-old student said she knew right away what she was given was not gummy candy.
“I started feeling really dizzy. I felt like the room was going to flip to the side,” the 9-year-old said.
The Dean of Elementary Students, Kristy Del Curto, said the school noticed the child who brought in the edibles was not acting normal.
“She started saying she couldn’t see,” said Del Curto.
Del Curto said three students ate one gummy and the student who brought the marijuana gummies to school ate as many as four pieces, KRQE reported.
Medicinal gummies can be up to 100 times more potent than traditional marijuana.
The Albuquerque School of Excellence addressed the marijuana incident with a post on its Facebook page.
“As we informed our parents via email for the incident happened last week, we would like to remind all students and parents to be cautious about food/drink sharing,” the post stated.
“‘A picture is worth thousand words’ and we would like our community to be alert with drugs and any edibles that may or could be in different formats,” the school stated. “We kindly ask our parents and community members not to talk explicitly about drugs/medicine when students are present (unintentionally to tempt or encourage students to use drugs).”
This is not the first time this kind of marijuana mix-up has occurred.
In March of 2017, a Florida mother was arrested after her middle school-aged child handed out a box of gummy candies laced with marijuana that the mother had in her refrigerator at home.