Detroit, MI – Detroit police said the 19-year-old “active shooter” who killed three people and wounded a fourth on Sunday would have kept up his killing spree if he hadn’t been caught.
The first shooting occurred at about 4:45 a.m. on Aug. 28 near 7 Mile Road and Wyoming Avenue in Detroit, WDIV reported.
The victim – a 28-year-old man – was shot multiple times and died at the scene.
Police said Chayne Lee was approached by the shooter and shot unprovoked, WJBK reported.
The suspect walked away, but then he returned and shot Lee several more times, according to police.
The shooting was not immediately reported to police, but officers learned about it from witnesses when they responded to a report of a shooting in the area of Wyoming and Margareta Avenues just 30 minutes later, WDIV reported.
Police said a 44-year-old woman was fatally at about 5:15 a.m.
While officers were investigating that woman’s murder, they heard gunfire in the 19700-block of Livernois Avenue, WDIV reported.
Officers rushed to the scene and found a woman in her 40s had been fatally shot while waiting for a bus.
The woman has not yet been identified and police are asking the public for information about any women who may be missing, WJBK reported.
Police said the fourth victim – an 80-year-old man – was shot at about 7:10 a.m. as he was walking his dog, WDIV reported.
The victim was transported to a hospital for treatment of his wounds and was expected to recover.
“The suspect terrorized our community ultimately killing three innocent people as they were going about their business,” Detroit Police Chief James White told reporters at a press briefing after the gunman had been captured.
Chief White said police quickly realized from the shell casings, the proximity of the shootings, and the timing of the incidents that the suspect was likely the same person, WJBK reported.
The Michigan State Police, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) joined to assist the investigation.
Chief White said police used technology very early in the investigation to help them identify and track down the shooter, WDIV reported.
Authorities released a picture of the suspect that was captured by one of the city’s Green Light surveillance cameras.
Alerts were posted on social media warning residents of the city that there was an “active shooter” on the loose and those warnings quickly spread, WDIV reported.
— 💫Ms Rt 1👄⚘️ (@_msright1) August 28, 2022
A family member of the suspect contacted police when they saw the photo, WJBK reported.
“Along with other information, we got a search warrant which we used to safely take the suspect into custody without incident,” Detroit Police Commander Michael McGinnis said.
The 19-year-old suspect was arrested at his home in the area of Pembroke Avenue and Monica Street, WDIV reported.
🚨 UPDATE: Deadly shootings on Detroit’s northwest side.
Thank you for your continued support today as our community dealt with the unimaginable fear of an active shooter in our city.
— Detroit Police News (@detroitpolice) August 29, 2022
Police recovered the weapon believed to have been used in the shootings while serving the search warrant at the suspect’s home, WJBK reported.
Officials said they believed that if the suspect had not been apprehended, he would have gone back out and continued his killing spree on the Detroit streets, WDIV reported.
“He was not done, right? He was in his home for that day, but the next morning he could have been back at it,” Cmdr. McGinnis said.
Chief White said the teen suspect did not have any prior criminal record and family members told investigators there was “some indication that there is mental illness,” WDIV reported.
Detroit police said the investigation was ongoing.