• Search

DC Firefighter Carjacked In Front Of Station, Second Firehouse Car Theft In 48 Hours

Washington, DC – Car thieves stole two vehicles belonging to DC firefighters that were parked outside their fire stations last week, including one who was carjacked as he got off-duty late at night.

The first incident occurred in the early morning hours of July 20 in front of Engine 21 in the 1700-block of Lanier Place, NW, NBC News reported.

The firefighter had spent his entire shift responding to back-to-back calls for service and the firehouse was empty for most of the night.

Firefighters discovered there was a Chevy Cruz missing from the parking pad in front of the station house at about 5:30 a.m., NBC News reported.

The police report said investigators believed the car thief entered the station and removed the keys to the Chevy Cruz from the locker of its owner.

Less than 48 hours later, in another quadrant of the city, a DC firefighter was carjacked as he was leaving work at the end of his shift, NBC News reported.

The second incident occurred at about 11 p.m. on July 21 by Engine Company 8 in the 1500-block of C Street, SE.

He told police he walked out of the firehouse and went to his car parked nearby and started to get in, NBC News reported.

That was when two suspects armed with handguns, who may have been teenagers, approached the firefighter and demanded he turn over his car keys and cell phone.

The firefighter complied and the suspects fled in his Volkswagen Passat, according to NBC News.

DC Fire Chief John Donnelly was frustrated with rising violent crime in the nation’s capital and expressed his solidarity with DC Police Chief Robert Contee, who recently raged about the failure of the courts to keep repeat offenders incarcerated.

“I think the police chief said it the other day,” Donnelly said. “I’m sick and tired of this, and I agree with him, but our people, we’re still going to be serving, but is very disappointing.”

The firefighters union said that the time required to deal with the car thefts is time that firefighters won’t be on the street serving the community, NBC News reported.

“But it takes a unit off the street, or in some cases several units, and we’re unable to respond to calls and provide the service that we’re there to do while we handle the incidents we’re involved in, the crime that our members have been a part of, unfortunately,” DC Firefighters Association Local 36 President Dabney Hudson said.

Police have asked the community to work with them in the investigations of the car thefts near the fire stations and said they hoped a citizen’s security cameras may have captured video of the thieves, NBC News reported.

Carjackings in the city are up 25 percent from the same time last year, and a ridiculously high number of them are being committed by teenagers, some of whom aren’t even old enough to drive.

An Uber Eats driver was carjacked in the city by a 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old girl in March.

Both girls were armed with stun guns when they attacked the driver in broad daylight.

A cell phone video filmed by a bystander showed 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar hanging out of his car screaming for

“This is my car!” Anwar yelled as one of the girls in his car stomped on the gas and fled the area with the car’s owner hanging out the driver’s door, the video showed.

The girl sideswiped a metal barrier and a light pole with the driver’s side of Anwar’s car.

The video showed the car door was still open and slammed on Anwar multiple times.

The car careened down the block in the video and out of view, and then a split-second later, the video picked up the sound of a terrible crunch as the vehicle crashed and flipped over.

The person filming the video ran down the street where some National Guard soldiers were helping the teen girls out of the wrecked vehicle.

Anwar’s body had been thrown from the vehicle when it crashed, and he lay unmoving 15 feet from it against a gate on the sidewalk.

He did not appear to be conscious or moving in the video.

Both of the girls were arrested at the scene, WTTG reported.

Anwar died of the injuries he sustained at the juveniles’ hands.

The 15-year-old girl was sentenced in June to a juvenile facility until she turns 21, the maximum allowable sentence.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."