• Search

Country Music Star Jimmie Allen Holding Benefit Show For Family Of Murdered Delmar Cop

Dewey Beach, DE – Country music singer Jimmie Allen will travel to his home state of Delaware next week to put on a fundraising concert for the family of slain Delmar Police Corporal Keith Heacook.

Cpl. Heacook, a married father-of-one, died in the line of duty on April 28 after a suspect brutally beat him while he was investigating a report of disturbance several days prior.

An elderly couple was also attacked and assaulted by the same suspect, leaving them severely injured.

Allen, a native of Milton, Delaware, said he learned about the corporal’s murder in a Facebook post and knew he had to do something to help his grieving family, WJZ reported.

“It’s a terrible situation,” the singer said in a Facebook video on Tuesday. “I’m definitely keeping his family and friends in my prayers.”

Allen said he will perform a pop-up acoustic set at the Bottle & Cork in Dewey Beach beginning at 7 p.m. on May 10.

All proceeds from the $10 cover charge will be given to Cpl. Heacook’s family, he said.

The country music star said it is important for the community to come together in a show of support.

“So, if you can, come out and support [them],” Allen said. “Even if you can’t come to the show and just want to stop by and make a donation, I’m sure the family will appreciate it…We’re going to do what we can to raise money for [Corporal] Heacook’s family.”

The violent assault occurred on April 25 around 5:12 a.m. at the Yorkshire Estates community in the 11000-block of Buckingham Drive, after the DPD received a report that 30-year-old Randon Wilkerson was destroying objects and “fighting with other residents” inside the home, the Delaware State Police (DSP) said in a press release.

Shortly after the initial call came in, the DPD received a report from a neighbor across the street who said he and his wife had been attacked by a male suspect who then fled the scene, the DSP said.

Cpl. Heacook arrived alone at the scene of the first call, where he was “met with a physical confrontation with Wilkerson” inside the residence, according to the DSP.

The police dispatcher repeatedly tried to check Cpl. Heacook’s status, but received no response over the radio.

The Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office and a DSP trooper were then dispatched to the scene and arrived to find Cpl. Heacook unconscious inside the home, the DSP said.

Laurel Police Department (LPD) officers responded and helped perform first aid after police pulled the critically-injured corporal from the residence.

He had suffered “significant head injuries” and was rushed to TidalHealth in Salisbury before receiving a police escort to Shock Trauma in Baltimore, Maryland, the DSP said.

According to court documents, a witness said Wilkerson had repeatedly slammed his foot on the unconscious corporal’s head during the attack, the Salisbury Daily Times reported.

Investigators determined Wilkerson also allegedly attacked the elderly couple who live across the street from the location of the initial disturbance call, the DSP said.

The 73-year-old male victim told police Wilkerson was knocking at his back door, so he opened it to see what he wanted, according to the press release.

“The male victim was then assaulted as Wilkerson entered the house and then struck numerous times with a glass object,” the DSP said. “Wilkerson then repeatedly assaulted a 76-year-old female with the same object before fleeing the house.”

Both victims suffered “significant injury” during the attack and were rushed to local hospitals, according to the DSP.

They have since been identified as Steve and Judy Franklin, the Salisbury Daily Times reported.

The couple has been released from the hospital and they are recovering at home, DSP Maser Corporal Gary Fournier said on April 28.

A fundraising page established to help the Franklins during their recovery has raised over $23,000 so far.

Cpl. Heacook was on a ventilator on April 25 when doctors placed a shunt into his skull to help relieve the pressure on his brain, according to the Salisbury Daily Times.

He was pronounced clinically deceased on the afternoon of April 28, the DPD said during a press conference that day.

Cpl. Heacook remained on life support in order for his organs to be donated to others, DPD Chief Ivan Barkley told reporters.

“I need you to know that even with his sacrifice, he’s still a hero for someone,” Chief Barkley said.

Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings confirmed on April 28 that Wilkerson will face upgraded charges – including murder – as a result of the corporal’s death, the Salisbury Daily Times reported.

“He will be held accountable for his heinous crimes against Cpl. Heacook, against the elderly couple he viciously attacked, and against Delmar and our entire state,” Jennings vowed.

Cpl. Heacook served the DPD for 22 years.

He leaves behind his wife, Susan, and his 12-year-old son from a previous relationship, the Salisbury Daily Times reported.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."