• Search

Cops Stop Portland Rioters Trying To Burn Down 300-Unit Apartment Building

Portland, OR – Police were able to stop an antifa mob from burning down an occupied, 300-unit apartment building on Monday night.

The mayhem kicked off at approximately 8:45 p.m., when a group of approximately 100 rioters started marching from Director Park on Park Avenue to Portland State University (PSU), the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) said in a press release.

The mob descended on the PSU Public Safety Office and immediately busted out the windows before making their way inside.

Other members of the group shattered the windows of the university’s student union building and Cramer Hall, according to the MCSO.

The mob then honed in on a Starbucks shop located on the ground floor of an apartment building on Montgomery Street.

They smashed out the windows and headed inside, where they proceeded to dump “flammable liquid…throughout the inside of the business,” according to the MCSO.

The MCSO, Oregon State Police and Portland Police Bureau declared the gathering an unlawful assembly at approximately 9:15 p.m. and ordered the group to disperse.

As they were breaking up the mob, they “interrupted” the suspected arson attempt being staged on the ground floor of the apartment building, according to the MCSO.

Police ran the rioters out of the Starbucks and “performed high visibility patrols” until the group eventually left the area, according to the press release.

Two suspects were arrested during the chaos.

Kaiave James Douvia, 22, was charged with first-degree criminal mischief, second-degree burglary, and disorderly conduct.

Connor Austin, 25, was charged with interfering with a peace officer.

The MCSO said they found a dumbbell, a tire iron, gas masks, body armor, and an umbrella among the items the suspects were carrying at the time of their arrests.

Both suspects were promptly released without bail, according to The Post Millennial.

PSU President Stephen Percy said in a statement on Tuesday that the rioters damaged five campus buildings in just 20 minutes during the violent uprising, KGW reported.

“We will clean up from last night’s incident and move forward,” Percy said. “While damage to property can be repaired, my larger concern is the damage done to our community.”

“This kind of vandalism impedes our important work in educating students, conducting research and supporting student life,” he continued. “We deplore the impact of these actions on our community.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."