Northglenn, CO – Authorities announced on Wednesday that the homeowner who fatally shot two armed teenagers who had broken into his backyard will not face any charges in connection with the deaths of the juvenile would-be home invasion suspects.
The Northglenn Police Department and the 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office said on Oct. 19 that they had reviewed all of the evidence in the case and determined that no criminal charges should be filed against the homeowner, KDVR reported.
The incident occurred at about 2 p.m. on Oct. 3 in the backyard of a home in the 1600-block of Pearl Street near Washington in Northglenn, KDVR reported.
Investigators determined that the 15-year-old and 16-year-old suspects broke a fence to get into the homeowner’s backyard and were attempting to gain access to a garage-like structure attached to the home when the homeowner spotted them.
Police said the homeowner said he believed the trespassers were armed, KDVR reported.
Investigators said the homeowner told police he saw an “unknown and uninvited male in their backyard cutting the leaves and branches of their marijuana plant with a machete.”
So, he grabbed his 45-caliber handgun and went outside and yelled “Really? Get out of here” to the intruders, according to the district attorney’s office.
The teens ignored the homeowner’s command and ran into a shed-like structure attached to the residence, KDVR reported.
That was when the homeowner said the teens began shooting at him, according to police.
“He saw muzzle flashes aimed in his direction and heard several gunshots come from inside the shed. The resident then returned fire. The two male teens were inside the shed when this exchange of gunfire occurred,” prosecutors and police said in their joint statement.
Both of the boys were fatally shot, KDVR reported.
Investigators determined that one of teens was carrying a semiautomatic handgun and the other had a machete.
When officers arrived on the scene, they found the two home-invasion suspects down in the yard they’d broken into.
Both suspects were transported to the hospital for treatment but neither boy survived his wounds, KDVR reported.
“The outcome of this incident is tragic. Two teenagers are dead, and their loss is heartbreaking. The District Attorney’s Office and the Northglenn Police Department must follow the law and the evidence, however, and the evidence clearly shows that the resident of the home acted in self-defense when he returned fire after being fired upon multiple times,” the authorities’ statement read.
“Therefore, the resident will not be arrested or charged in this incident,” it concluded.
The homeowner wasn’t injured during the incident, according to KDVR.
Detectives determined that the thwarted attempted home invasion on Pearl Street was connected to another burglary that occurred hours earlier nearby.
LJ Perceval said that when she and her son got home on Oct. 2, it was obvious their home had been burglarized, CBS News reported. “We started looking through the house and noticed they had rummaged through my room and his room,” Perceval said. “We were totally violated. They went through my underwear and all my clothes.”
She said one of the items that was stolen was her son’s Airsoft rifle, CBS News reported.
“I was concerned because what were they going to use it for? Airsoft rifles look like real guns with the exception of a little orange butt on them,” the mother explained.
Perceval said she called 911 but was advised by the call taker that it would be a while before officers responded because of a “more serious” incident down the street, CBS News reported.
Police later connected the burglary of Perceval’s home to the thwarted home invasion down the street.