• Search

College Student Found Guilty Of Making False Rape Accusations Against 2 Students

Nikki Yovino pleaded guilty to having made false rape accusations against two former football players at her college.

Bridgeport, CT – A 19-year-old former college student who falsely accused two classmates of rape at Sacred Heart University will go to prison for her crimes.

Nikki Yovino pleaded guilty on June 5 to making false rape accusations when she told police that she had been sexually assaulted by two males in a bathroom at a house party in Bridgeport.

Her accusations resulted in one of the young men losing his football scholarship, and all three of the students involved have dropped out of school in the wake of the incident, the Fairfield Daily Voice reported.

Yovino told police the two men pulled her into a bathroom, held her down, and took turns having sex with her on Oct. 15, 2016. The men told police it had been consensual, WTIC-TV reported.

However, the arrest warrant said another student told police they overheard Yovino telling the men she wanted to have sex with them, according to The Sun.

When police began questioning Yovino on discrepancies in her account of the rape, she recanted her story and said she made it all up.

“She admitted that she made up the allegation of sexual assault against [the football players] because it was the first thing that came to mind and she didn’t want to lose [another male student] as a friend and potential boyfriend,” the arrest report read. “She stated that she believed when [the other male student] heard the allegation it would make him angry and sympathetic to her.”

Initially, Yovino declined a plea deal from prosecutors, but then changed her mind as jury selection was scheduled to begin.

She was facing a felony count of evidence tampering and a misdemeanor charge of falsely reporting an incident, charges which carried up to five years in prison.

As part of the plea deal, the charges were downgraded to two counts of second-degree falsely reporting an incident and another count of interfering with police.

She pleaded guilty to both misdemeanors on Tuesday and was expected to spend up to one year in prison, the Fairfield Daily Voice reported.

AndrewBlake - June Wed, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."