• Search

Charleston Officer Fighting For Life After Shooting Gunman Who Shot Her In Her Face

Charleston, WV – A Charleston police officer is fighting for her life after being shot in the face while responding to a parking complaint on Tuesday afternoon.

Charleston Police Officer Cassie Johnson, 28, remains in grave condition at the Charleston Area Medical Center, where law enforcement officers from across the area have been standing watch by her beside throughout the night, WOWK reported.

“Officer Johnson was struck in what would normally be a killer wound, but in the true fighting spirit of the Charleston Police Department and those who are truly called to serve, she has a pulse,” Charleston Police Chief Tyke Hunt said during a press conference outside the hospital on Tuesday night.

“She’s not out of the woods and is going to be recovering and we hope and pray that she makes a full recovery,” the chief said.

“I thank God every moment she’s still with us,” Chief Hunt added.

Officer Johnson worked as a humane officer with the city prior to joining the Charleston Police Department (CPD) on Jan. 11, 2019, WOWK reported.

“Not only do we need your prayers tonight for Cassie, but we need prayers tonight for her mother Cheryl, her sister Chelsie, but also for our first responders who make these calls every single day,” Charleston Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin said during the press conference.

The alleged gunman was later found suffering from a gunshot wound, WCHS reported.

Investigators believe he was hit when Officer Johnson returned fire, Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) Sergeant Brian Humphreys said.

The attack occurred in the 200-block of Garrison Avenue at about 2:45 p.m. on Dec. 1, as Officer Johnson was handling a parking complaint, WCHS reported.

Details regarding what occurred in the moments prior to Officer Johnson being shot in the face have not been released.

The alleged gunman fled the scene in a red Dodge Durango just before 3 p.m., according to WOWK.

He was apprehended by police at a second location on Garrison Avenue, WCHS reported.

The gunman also remained hospitalized early Wednesday morning, according to WOWK.

Over 70 law enforcement officers responded to the scene to help Officer Johnson.

Many more gathered at the hospital to support her and her family in the hours that followed.

Officer Johnson underwent surgery late Tuesday afternoon, WOWK reported.

The KCSO is handling the ongoing investigation into the shooting.

After her swearing-in ceremony nearly two years ago, Officer Johnson told reporters that becoming a law enforcement officer had been a longtime goal for her.

“It’s been a dream of mine for a while and I am happy to see it come to fruition,” she told WOWK at the time. “I’ve been working extremely hard over the last year to get ready for it. I am really happy to finally getting to follow my dreams in working with Charleston PD.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."