Santa Fe, NM – Prosecutors have dropped all charges against Alec Baldwin in connection with the on-set shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
Baldwin, who fatally shot 42-year-old Hutchins on the set of the “Rust” film on Oct. 21, 2021, had been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.
Officials said on Thursday that “new facts” surfaced in recent days that resulted in the decision to drop the charges against him, but that charges may be refiled in the future, NBC News reported.
Special prosecutors Jason Lewis and Kari Morrissey said in a statement that additional investigation and forensic analysis is needed, but they did not specify what “new facts” had been discovered.
“Consequently, we cannot proceed under the current time constraints and on the facts and evidence turned over by law enforcement in its existing form,” the special prosecutors said, according to NBC News. “We therefore will be dismissing the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr. Baldwin to conduct further investigation.”
Morrissey and Lewis reiterated the dismissal does not “absolve Mr. Baldwin of criminal culpability.”
Former “Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed still faces one count of involuntary manslaughter.
Her preliminary hearing is slated for May 3, ABC News reported.
Prosecutors dropped gun enhancement charges against the pair in February.
According to multiple news outlets, sources said the new information in the case involves claims the gun used in the incident had been modified, NBC News reported.
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” Baldwin’s attorneys, Alex Spiro and Luke Nikas, said in a statement to ABC News.
Baldwin has repeatedly denied responsibility for Hutchins’ death.
He insisted during an interview with ABC News in late 2021 that he “didn’t pull the trigger” of the “prop” gun he was holding when it discharged and fatally shot the 42-year-old cinematographer.
The 64-year-old actor said he has “no idea” how the fatal incident occurred.
But according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) forensic report, the .45 Colt caliber F.lli Pietta single-action revolver Baldwin was holding at the time of the fatal shooting could not have fired without someone pulling the trigger, ABC News reported.
The film’s producer, Joel Souza, was also wounded by the bullet that killed Hutchins.
“Rust” resumed principal photography at the Yellowstone Filming Ranch in Montana on April 20 with Baldwin as the lead actor, ABC News reported.