• Search

Cell Phone Video Shows Officers Tasing NBA’s Jaxson Hayes During Arrest

Los Angeles, CA – The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) launched an investigation into officers’ use of force during the arrest of New Orleans Pelicans center Jaxson Hayes at his home in Los Angeles (video below).

The incident occurred at about 3:14 a.m. on July 28 when officers responded to a 911 call from Hayes’ residence about a domestic dispute in the 22000-block of Mariano Street, KTLA reported.

Police encountered the 21-year old, six-foot, 11-inch, 220-pound New Orleans Pelicans center in his front yard.

Officers told Hayes that he needed to stay outside while they talked to the victim inside the residence, KTLA reported.

Hayes ignored officers’ commands, told them to stay out of the house, and repeatedly tried to enter the home.

Officers called for backup and then attempted to detain Hayes, KTLA reported.

But when they tried to put his hands behind his back to handcuff him, police said he broke free and slammed one of the officers up against a wall.

Police said it took “two deployments of the Taser, as well as bodyweight and physical force” to subdue Hayes, ESPN reported.

Hayes continued to resist arrest and the altercation went on for more than two-and-a-half minutes before officers were able to handcuff him.

One officer was injured in the chaos, KTLA reported.

He was transported to the hospital for treatment and later released.

Hayes was also taken to the hospital for treatment before he was booked for resisting arrest, KTLA reported.

He was released two hours later after posting $25,000 bail, ESPN reported.

Hayes is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Jan. 24, 2022.

The woman at the home who was the victim associated with the initial 911 call refused to cooperate with the police investigation into the domestic dispute call, ESPN reported.

Cell phone video of the incident filmed by a friend that was obtained by TMZ showed the basketball player on the ground wrestling with three officers.

Then the video showed that one of the officers pressed a Taser to the NBA center’s chest and shocked him more than once as he continued to resist arrest.

On Tuesday, LAPD Chief Michael Moore announced a probe into the use of force by the officers during Hayes’ arrest, specifically whether they had applied too much force to his neck and had caused him to have trouble breathing, TMZ reported.

The video also showed officers stopping Hayes’ friend from continuing to film his arrest.

Watch the incident unfold in the video below. WARNING – Graphic Content and Obscene Language:

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."