West Palm Beach, FL – Casey Anthony, the young mother acquitted after being accused of murdering her two-year-old daughter and dumping her body in the woods because the toddler was cramping her party-girl lifestyle, has filed paperwork to launch her own private investigation company, according to state business records.
Anthony, now 34, was acquitted of murder in the June 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee, but was convicted of felony charges of lying to police at the conclusion of the 2011 trial, the Daily Mail reported.
She filed paperwork with the Florida Division of Corporations on Dec. 14 to launch her latest business, Case Research & Consulting Services, which is slated to open on Jan. 1, according to the paper.
Property records indicate the business is registered to a $1.25 million residence owned by 72-year-old Patrick McKenna, who was the lead investigator on Anthony’s defense team, the Daily Mail reported.
Anthony moved in with McKenna after her acquittal, according to the New York Post.
During an Associated Press interview in 2017, Anthony said she had been working for McKenna by conducting social media searches and performing other investigative duties.
McKenna was also the lead investigator on OJ Simpson’s defense team after the football player was accused of murdering his wife.
“I can empathize with his situation,” Anthony said of Simpson, who was also acquitted.
“I don’t give a s—t what anyone thinks about me. I never will,” she told the Associated Press at the time. “I’m okay with myself. I sleep pretty good at night.”
It is unclear whether or not Anthony can even obtain a Class C Private Investigator License through the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services due to her prior felony convictions, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Furthermore, applicants can also be denied for having a history of “being arrested for crimes of violence and/or found guilty of … directly related crimes,” according to the paper.
Anthony is listed as the sole agent of the business, the Daily Mail reported.
According to Florida business records, Anthony also registered her photography business, Case Photography, to McKenna’s address, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
That venture shut down in 2018.
Anthony, who describes herself as a “news personality” on Facebook, has touted plans to release a tell-all movie in the past, the Daily Mail reported.
“It will show the tears and the turmoil that I truly went through and the anxiety and hardship after I was released when I actually had time to mourn,” Anthony told the news outlet. “Regardless of what the media has depicted of me, I am not a monster…I just don’t show my sadness.”
Anthony claimed that Caylee drowned by accident, and that she had no part of disposing of her body.
The racy film, “As I Was Told,” was also supposed to explain her behavior during the 31 days her daughter was missing, she told the Daily Mail.
“Yes, I drank and carried on like nothing happened. The movie is called ‘As I Was told’ because I’d done what I was told to do. I had to put on a fake persona throughout those 31 days,” Anthony claimed.
She further alleged that a man, who has not been identified due to “legal reasons,” told her to “live your life as normal,” and that he would “take care of it,” the Daily Mail reported.
Anthony argued that photos of her partying during a hot-body contest and the fact that she got a tattoo that read “good life” in Italian during that period were used to unjustly vilify her.
“People can spin that around as they like. I don’t care,” she told the Daily Mail. “I always wanted to get that tattoo so I got it. I’ve even drawn that on pieces of paper before Caylee was even born.”
Anthony acknowledged that she should have done more in the wake of her daughter’s disappearance, but claimed that she was a victim of those who were supposedly controlling her.
“I should have taken reign and done what I felt I should have done no matter who it hurt,” she told the Daily Mail. “My life was in others’ hands from beginning to the end.”
Anthony also declared that she was a victim of the criminal justice system and the media.
“I never for once thought that I would go to prison for what happened to Cays because I had faith in the justice system and my attorneys,” she told the Daily Mail. “I was planning for my future, I thought after the trial that I would be home free to do as I wanted…Never knowing or even thinking that people would not care about what the jury’s verdict was, they still crucified me after the fact.”
Although Anthony said the film would be released this year, a source recently told People it likely won’t be happening at all.
“It just hasn’t really gotten off the ground,” the source said. “And then the Coronavirus became a thing and stopped any momentum that the film had. It’s effectively dead.”
During the murder trial in 2011, prosecutors alleged that Anthony, then 25, murdered two-year-old Caylee and dumped her body in a wooded area near her home in 2008, the New York Post reported.
According to prosecutors, Anthony felt that having Caylee around got in the way of the free-wheeling, party-girl lifestyle she wanted.
Caylee had been missing for 31 days when Anthony’s mother, Cindy, reported the little girl as missing, FOX News reported.
Police later found the toddler’s skeletal remains hidden in a garbage bag in the wooden area near the Anthony home, according to the New York Post.
Because Caylee’s exact cause of death couldn’t be determined, prosecutors were ultimately unable to convince the jury that Anthony had murdered her daughter.
On July 5, 2011, Anthony was acquitted of manslaughter and murder charges, but she was found guilty of four counts of lying to police, FOX News reported.
Two of those counts were later dropped.