• Search

Business Owner Posts Bond For 3 Cops Charged In Death Of Manuel Ellis

Tacoma, WA – A Tacoma business owner posted bond for three Tacoma police officers who have been criminally charged in connection with the in-custody death of a methamphetamine-fueled suspect who attacked them last year.

Josh Harris, owner of a Tacoma construction company, said he was in courtroom last week when the judge set the officers’ bonds at $100,000 each, WTXF reported.

“Being the fact that they were veterans, highly decorated veterans, I wasn’t about to see them sit in jail over Memorial Day weekend,” Harris said of his decision to bail them out. “We’re blessed. I had the funds available to do it.”

He said the three officers patrol the neighborhood where his company is located and that he has worked with them many times, WTXF reported.

He posted their bond as a show of support, he said.

“Compared to what these guys were up against right now it is really nothing,” Harris told WTXF. “Their families are highly affected and their friends are highly affected and their department is highly affected.”

Harris said he was surprised when his name and personal cell number were made public after he posted the bonds, but he noted that most of the calls and texts he’s received have been supportive.

Others messages were threatening, he acknowledged.

“I know about the flyer going around that I’m a fascist and this and that. But everyone that knows me knows that I’m all about the community, I’m all about giving back,” he added. “I’m Involved in several programs that help people, from children on fishing programs and sport programs to adults struggling with addiction.”

He urged people not to jump to conclusions about the case and said the officers deserve a fair trial, WTXF reported.

“We have due process and we need to let that play out and people need to take a deep breath and relax and sit back and let the courts figure things out,” Harris said. “Let everything, all the evidence be brought out and that the truth will lay out there and a decision will be made and people need to respect that decision.”

According to the Pierce County Medical Examiner’s report, the March 3, 2020 encounter with 33-year-old Manuel Ellis began after Ellis allegedly walked up to a Tacoma patrol vehicle on the corner of Ainsworth Avenue South and 96th Street South at 11:21 p.m. and pounded on it “for no apparent reason,” The News Tribune reported.

Two officers were inside the patrol car at the time, according to the report.

As one of the officers got out of the vehicle, Ellis allegedly grabbed him and threw him to the ground, investigators said.

One of the officers deployed his Taser, hitting Ellis in the chest, just before the officers wound up going hands-on with him, The News Tribune reported.

Bystander cell phone footage showed the officers as they fought to subdue the violent suspect.

By the time the brawl was over, Ellis was handcuffed, his feet were hobbled, and a spit hood had been placed over his head, KIRO reported.

Ellis told the officers four times that he couldn’t breathe, and later died while in custody, according to The Seattle Times.

According to police, Ellis had also been trying to open the doors of other occupied vehicles prior to pounding on the patrol car, The News Tribune reported.

Investigators said he seemed to be suffering from excited delirium.

Tacoma Police Department (TPD) Officer Christopher Burbank, 35, Officer Matthew Collins, 38, Officer Timothy Rankine, 32, and Officer Masyih Ford, 29, were placed on leave immediately after Ellis died while the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department (PCSD) conducted an initial investigation into the incident, The Seattle Times reported.

They were returned to duty two weeks later, but that all changed once the Pierce County Medical Examiner’s report came out in June of 2020.

The medical examiner noted that Ellis had a fatal level of methamphetamine in his system at the time of his death, KIRO reported.

“Death, therefore, is certified as being due to hypoxia as a result of physical restraint with contributing conditions of methamphetamine intoxication and a dilated heart‚” the medical examiner’s report read.

His death was ruled a homicide, but the medical examiner noted that “an argument could be made that the extremely high methamphetamine concentration should be considered the primary factor,” according to The News Tribune.

The four officers were placed back on paid leave, The Seattle Times reported.

At nearly the same time, two eyewitnesses came forward to dispute the officers’ claims that Ellis had been violent with them.

They also had video clips of portions of the fight after it was already underway, according to the paper.

The PCSD’s investigation into the incident fell apart when investigators discovered PCSD Sergeant Gary Sanders had helped restrain the suspect during the brawl, The Seattle Times reported.

The conflict of interest caused Washington Governor Jay Inslee to intervene, and the case was handed over to the Washington State Patrol (WSP) to investigate.

Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson, who was tasked with making a charging decision in the case, hired Seattle attorney Patty Eakes in February to help him wade through the investigation, The Seattle Times reported.

WSP investigators noted in December of 2020 that 27-year-old TPD Officer Armando “Manny” Farinas was the one who placed the spit hood over Ellis’ head while he was restrained, according to the paper.

Because the medical examiner determined that the mask was one of the contributing factors in Ellis’ death, Officer Farinas was also placed on leave effective Dec. 30, 2020, The Seattle Times reported.

Ferguson announced on May 27 that his office charged Officer Collins and Officer Burbank with second-degree murder.

Officer Rankine is facing a charge of first-degree manslaughter.

All three have pleaded not guilty, and have been placed on administrative leave, KOMO reported.

Officer Collins and Officer Burbank’s next hearing is slated for June 11.

Officer Rankine is due back in court on June 24.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."