• Search

BREAKING: Officer Toney’s Killer Captured Dead

The man who murdered Gwinnett County Police Officer Antwan Toney on Saturday has been captured dead.

Snellville, GA – The man accused of murdering 30-year-old Gwinnett County Police Officer Antwan Toney on Saturday is dead.

Police officials said Monday morning that Tafahree Maynard, who was believed to have shot Officer Toney, had been located, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Shortly thereafter, police put out another update that said Maynard was dead.

WXIA reported that Maynard’s mother was driving him to the police station on Monday morning when he suddenly jumped out of the car and ran.

Gwinnett County police Chief A.A. “Butch” Ayers said at a press conference on Monday afternoon that Maynard had been fatally shot after officers found him hiding in a shed behind a home, the Associated Press reported.

Chief Ayers said on Saturday that Maynard, 18, was believed to be the man who murdered Officer Toney, the Gwinnett Daily Post reported.

He announced that Maynard had been charged with felony murder and aggravated assault in the police officer’s murder, and told the public he should be considered armed and dangerous.

“Our information is that Tafahree fled the scene of the shooting on foot,” Chief Ayers said. “He is a black male, 6’1”, 200 pounds. I’m not going to go into any details about the investigation or how we developed these suspects, but a manhunt is actively underway right now for [Tafahree].”

Another suspect – 19-year-old Isaiah Pretlow – was arrested by the U.S. Marshal Service at about 11:30 pm on Saturday night after an exchange of gunfire.

Pretlow has been charged with aggravated assault, the Gwinnett Daily Post reported.

Officer Toney was murdered at around 3 p.m. on Oct. 20 after officers responded to a call of a suspicious vehicle near Shiloh Middle school where the occupants were reported to possibly be smoking marijuana.

Gwinnett County Sergeant Jake Smith told reporters that two officers approached the vehicle without their guns drawn, and suddenly at least one occupant inside of the vehicle shot at them through the vehicle’s glass.

Officer Antwan Toney was struck by the gunfire. The other officer dragged Officer Toney away as the suspect vehicle took off.

Officers returned fire, but it was not clear if any suspects were hit.

The suspect vehicle crashed about a mile away and the occupants fled on foot.

Officer Toney was transported to the hospital in critical condition. He later succumbed to his injuries, according to Sergeant Smith.

Authorities said that Officer Toney had been killed just six days before his three-year anniversary with the department. He was unmarried, and his family lives out of state.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of Blue Lives Matter posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Sandy Malone - October Mon, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."