Benton, KY – Police said at least five students were shot Tuesday morning at Marshall County High School in southwestern Kentucky.
At least one person was killed in the incident, according to the Mirror.
Officials with Marshall County Emergency Management said the suspect had been apprehended, but the school remained in lockdown while police investigated.
An official from nearby Benton Elementary Schools said that all of their students and staff were safe, WZTV reported.
The Kentucky State Police used Twitter to send out updates to parents and the community. The confirmed the shooting just before 7 a.m.
The local FBI office in Louisville also tweeted that they were “aware of a school shooting at Marshall County High School with multiple victims” and were “currently working with our federal, state, and local law enforcement partners.”
Parents and students, including those in the high school where the shooting took place, went to social media asking for more information.
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin tweeted soon after the incident and said there is “much yet unknown” as first responders continued to investigate at the high school.
U.S. Representative James Comer also tweeted his thoughts and prayers for the school.
UPDATE: Two 15-year-old students killed, one 15-year-old student in custody, 14 students shot.
This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of Blue Lives Matter posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.