• Search

BREAKING: Littleton Officer Shot Multiple Times, 2 Suspects At Large

Littleton, CO – A Littleton police officer was shot while responding to a report of gunfire early Tuesday morning.

The incident occurred just after midnight in the area of West Powers Avenue and South Bannock Street, after police received a report of someone was shooting from a vehicle, Littleton Police Chief Doug Stephens said during a 6:30 a.m. press conference on Sept. 21.

Officers responded to the area and spotted a car that matched the description of the suspect vehicle.

When they tried to make contact, two occupants bailed out of the vehicle and took off on foot, leading to a foot pursuit, Chief Stephens said.

One of the suspects was running into an apartment complex on West Powers Avenue when he turned and opened fire on the officer who was chasing him, according to the chief.

The officer was struck multiple times in his torso, leg, arm, and possibly in the chest just above his vest, but he and a fellow officer were both able to return fire, Chief Stephens told reporters.

It is unknown if the suspect was hit during the shootout.

Both suspects were able to escape while the second officer was trying to help his wounded partner, Chief Stephens said.

The injured officer was rushed to a local hospital, where he underwent surgery.

He is currently in stable condition in the intensive care unit, according to the chief.

The officer was wearing a ballistic vest, which absorbed the impact of some of the rounds that struck his torso, he noted.

Chief Stephens said the officer’s family has asked for privacy and that he will not be releasing the officer’s name at this time.

Police have seized the vehicle the suspects were driving and said they are still searching for both occupants.

Investigators have not released any possible descriptions of the suspects.

He urged anyone who has information about the incident to call 911.

Chief Stephens said they have combed the area where the shooting occurred and that they do not believe there is a current immediate threat to the public.

The shelter-in-place order has been lifted, but the area remains closed while investigators continue processing the active crime scene.

“This is yet another example of the tragedies our officers face and the risk they take every single day and night out there. They put their lives on the line,” Chief Stephens said during the press conference, holding back tears. “I’m just tremendously proud of all of them.”

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of The Police Tribune’s posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."