• Search

BREAKING: At Least One Black Friday Shopper Shot When Gunfire Erupts At Mall

Durham, NC – The Streets at Southpoint Mall erupted in chaos amidst Black Friday shopping after gunfire erupted near the shops leaving at least one person shot.

The mall immediately went into lockdown and shoppers took shelter in stores as law enforcement officers responded to the scene, according to WRAL reporter Aaron Thomas, who was there shopping when the incident occurred just before 4 p.m. on Nov. 26.

“I’m currently locked in a store with other shoppers due to a lockdown situation in Streets at Southpoint Mall in #Durham,” Thomas tweeted. “We’re waiting to hear from security what prompted this situation. While shopping, I saw many people running.”

Shoppers posted pictures and videos that showed people running for their lives and blood on the ground.

A Durham city council member told WRAL that at least one person had been shot at the mall.

“The situation is still fluid, but of course we’re all deeply, deeply concerned,” Durham City Councilman Mark-Anthony Middleton said. “This is Black Friday. This is a huge shopping day. We know a lot of people are out after the holiday trying to do shopping.”

“Our first responders are on scene and let’s let them do their work and securing the mall and treating any victims that there may be and apprehending anyone that needs to be apprehended,” Middleton continued. “It’s really important that folks stay clear of the area and let our first responders get in there and do the work they’ve been trained to do.”

Police have not yet released any details about the incident or confirmed how many suspects were involved, WRAL reported.

Authorities also have not confirmed how many people have been shot or their conditions.

Some mall employees said they didn’t know what was going on when they saw shoppers running and screaming, WRAL reported.

“We were working with customers and then all we saw was people starting to run and screaming and then everybody was just starting to panic,” Sunglass Hut employee Miranda said. “I didn’t see anything thing else other than that, I didn’t hear anything except just people running obviously towards the exit… I called security and they told me to shelter in place.”

Police have set up a perimeter around the mall and officers were seen escorting shoppers to safety.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of The Police Tribune’s posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."