• Search

Atlanta Falcons Player Booted From Team After Allegedly Assaulting, Disarming Cop During Arrest

Atlanta, GA – Atlanta Falcons practice squad wide receiver Cameron Batson was booted by the team on Monday after he was arrested for allegedly trying to disarm a police officer and leading police on a drunken motor vehicle pursuit over the weekend.

The series of events leading to Batson’s arrest began at approximately 2 a.m. on Dec. 31, when an Atlanta police officer spotted a speeding pickup truck swerving in and out of its lane on Interstate 75 North, WAGA reported.

The officer pulled the vehicle over at the Northside Drive exit and made contact with Batson, who was behind the wheel.

Police said the officer determined during the stop that Batson, 27, was intoxicated and attempted to take him into custody, WAGA reported.

That’s when the wide receiver allegedly began violently resisting arrest, to include attempting to take the officer’s weapon, according to police.

Batson’s defense attorney, Don Samuel, has alleged his client was handcuffed and tased for no reason while he was simply performing a field sobriety test, according to WTOC.

But prosecutors said the suspect managed to gain control of the officer’s Taser during a physical altercation and attempted to use it on the officer.

The officer fired a single round during the brawl, but no one was struck by the bullet, WAGA reported.

Batson jumped back into his truck and fled the scene, police said.

Investigators said he ultimately crashed his pickup a short distance away near Echota Drive and Northside Drive, then took off running on foot, WAGA reported.

Law enforcement officers swarmed the area to search for the suspect and ultimately located him attempting to hide, according to police.

He and the officer he allegedly assaulted were both transported to a local hospital for treatment, according to ESPN.

Batson was arrested on charges of removal of a weapon from a public official, aggravated assault, driving-fleeing to elude a police officer, and battery, WAGA reported.

He faces up to 20 years in prison if he is convicted, according to ESPN.

“We have been made aware of an overnight incident involving Cameron Batson and are currently gathering information from law enforcement agencies,” the Atlanta Falcons said in a statement on Saturday. “We take this matter seriously and have no further comment at this time.”

Batson went before a Fulton County judge on Monday morning and was given a $95,000 bond, WAGA reported.

The judge also agreed to allow him to travel with the Atlanta Falcons for his employment.

But the team ultimately announced shortly after 1 p.m. that same day that Batson is no longer a member of its practice squad.

“The Atlanta Falcons have released wide receiver Cameron Batson from the practice squad,” an Atlanta Falcons spokesperson told WAGA in a statement. “With the release of Batson, the Falcons currently have 15 players on the practice squad.”

Arthur Smith, coach of the Atlanta Falcons, said the decision was made to release Batson because “we’re always going to do what we feel is in the best interest of the team,” according to ESPN.

“I’m not privy to all the facts, so I’m not going to comment on any ongoing legal situation,” Smith added.

Batson played 27 games for the Tennessee Titans between 2018 and 2021, ESPN reported.

He had been on the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad for the entirety of the current season, but hasn’t played any games.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."