• Search

Angry Mob Chases Down Parolee Accused Of Beating Pregnant Girlfriend, Beat Him To Death

Magna, UT – A parolee accused of beating his pregnant girlfriend and leaving her with a black eye was chased down by a mob of people and bludgeoned to death on Monday.

According to investigators, the group learned about the alleged assault after they went to the woman’s home to look at some puppies she had, KSTU reported.

During their interaction, they readily noticed that the woman had a black eye, according to KSL.

The woman told them that her boyfriend, 41-year-old Fred Valdamar Ortiz, had assaulted her two days prior, causing the injury.

According to an arrest affidavit, Ortiz’s stepdaughter and mother later claimed they were afraid to report the domestic abuse situation to the police, KSL reported.

They noted Ortiz was on parole, but alleged his parole officer “will not do anything to lock him up,” according to KSTU.

Ortiz ended up riding by the house on a scooter while the group was there.

Easton Jorge Esparsa, the nephew of the woman who said she had been assaulted, later told police Ortiz was circling the house on the scooter, yelling for Esparsa’s aunt to come outside, KSL reported.

They all headed outside and jumped into their vehicles as Ortiz sped off, according to the affidavit.

The group chased after him and ultimately intercepted him in the parking lot of a grocery store located near 8000 West and 3600 South, KSL reported.

That’s when, according to witnesses, 19-year-old Osyeanna Maria Martinez hit Ortiz with her Volkswagen Bug, knocking him off of the scooter.

Martinez and Esparsa denied those allegations.

Esparsa, Martinez, and 18-year-old Xandre Skye Daniel Hill then allegedly chased Ortiz down and began assaulting him, to including hitting him with a pole while he was down on the ground, KSL reported.

According to police, Esparsa later confessed to having punched Ortiz, but denied having struck him with a pole.

Investigators said Hill admitted that he tackled Ortiz to the ground and that he punched him, KSL reported.

Security footage showed Martinez hurling two boards at Ortiz’s head just before he started kicking and punching him, according to the affidavit.

At least three other people were also present at the time of the attack, but police said the only people who assaulted Ortiz were Esparsa, Hill, and Martinez, KSL reported.

The group left Ortiz lying on the ground behind the grocery store, according to police.

Officers received a 911 call and responded to the lot at 2:30 p.m., KSTU reported.

Ortiz was unresponsive and was not breathing when they found him, they said.

He was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead, KSL reported.

Hill, Esparsa, and Martinez have all been arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."