• Search

Activists Block Entrance To Hospital Treating Wounded Deputies, ‘I Hope They F-ing Die’

Los Angeles, CA – Shortly after two wounded deputies arrived at St. Francis Medical Center in critical condition, a group of activists arrived and called for the death of the deputies.

Two Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Deputies were shot in an ambush attack while they sat in a patrol car Saturday night.

The wounded deputies were in emergency surgery for gunshot wounds to their face and head when the group of activists arrived, according to KABC.

Activists were seen blocking the emergency entrance and exits to the hospital and some tried to get inside of the building.

Bishop Juan Carlos Mendez with Churches in Action told KABC that the activists were chanting for the deputies to die.

“They were saying death to the police, kill the police and they were using all types of curse words and derogatory terms about the police, just provoking our police officers,” Mendez said, according to KABC. “Unacceptable behavior because the hospital should be a sanctuary, we should leave hospitals alone.”

Video from the scene showed activists yelling “I want to deliver a message to the family: I hope they f—ing die,” and “Y’all gonna die one by one. This ain’t gonna stop.”

Police arrested two people outside of the hospital after they allegedly ignored a dispersal order.

One of the suspects was later identified as a local radio reporter.

The sheriff’s department says that the reporter did not identify herself as being a member of the press and ran towards deputies who were making an arrest while ignoring commands to stop.

The initial shooting of the deputies happened at the Metro Blue Line station at Willowbrook and Compton Boulevard at around 7 p.m. Saturday night, according to KABC.

A 31-year-old female deputy and a 24-year-old male deputy were sitting in their patrol car at the transit station.

Surveillance video captured the moment a dark-skinned male in dark clothing walked up to their patrol car and opened fire on them from just a few feet away.

One of the deputies was shot in the face, and the other deputy was shot in the head, according to KTLA.

Authorities say that a fish-eye lens was used by the security camera, and the lens could distort the suspect’s height.

The deputies were able to radio for help after they were shot.

They were transported to the hospital and underwent emergency surgery. The deputies remain in critical condition.

Both deputies were sworn in only 14 months ago.

The female deputy is married with a 6-year-old son.

The male deputy’s parents and girlfriend were visiting him at the hospital.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva called the would-be assassin a coward at a press conference Saturday night.

“That was a cowardly act,” the sheriff said. “The two deputies were doing their job, minding their own business, watching out for the safety of the people on the train.”

“To see somebody just walk up and start shooting on them. It pisses me off. It dismays me at the same time. There’s no pretty way to say it,” the sheriff said.

“They just graduated, and in fact, I swore them into office just 14 months ago,” Sheriff Villanueva added. “These are real people doing a tough job, and it just shows the dangers of the job, in the blink of an eye.”

Anybody with information on the suspect is being asked to call authorities.

Written by
Christopher Berg

Editor-in-Chief: Twitter/@SnarkyCop. Christopher left his job as a police officer to manage The Police Tribune to provide context to the public about police incidents. Before becoming a police officer, he worked as a law enforcement dispatcher trainer.

View all articles
Written by Christopher Berg


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."