• Search

6 Cops Shot In Less Than 12 Hours During Series Of Attacks Across U.S.

Six officers were shot in New Jersey, Maryland, and Oregon on Thursday.

Six law enforcement officers were shot in a span of less than 12 hours during a series of attacks across the country on Thursday.

Three police officers were wounded in New Jersey, two deputies were shot in Oregon, and a police sergeant in Maryland is currently on life support after suffering multiple gunshot wounds.

The incident in Irvington, New Jersey, began at approximately 11 a.m., after 39-year-old Kaizen Crossen got into an argument with a woman in the 300-block of Myrtle Avenue, WCBS reported.

When the woman’s friends tried to break up the dispute, Crossen left briefly, but came back armed with a rifle, witnesses said.

He then fatally shot a 20-year-old man, whose name has not been released, the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office said in a press release on Thursday.

The victim died of a gunshot wound to the neck, according to WABC.

Law enforcement received a report of the shooting at approximately 11:30 a.m. and arrived to find the armed gunman wearing full body armor, WNBC reported.

“When the first Irvington police officer arrived, he encountered Crossen and shots were exchanged,” the Attorney General’s Office said in the press release.

Crossen shot the officer in the lower legs during the gun battle, which continued after additional officers arrived at the scene.

Two more officers were also wounded during the shootout, and all three officers are expected to survive.

“Multiple officers fired at the gunman, who was fatally wounded,” according to the press release.

Crossen was rushed to University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Irvington Mayor Tony Vauss said that he was thankful for the officers’ rapid response, NJ Advance Media reported.

“I credit our police department for acting so swiftly,” Vauss told the news outlet. “I think they were only a block away when they got called.”

Crossen, who has a history of drug-related offenses, also had another weapon and “lots of ammo” with him at the time of the incident, the mayor said.

The Attorney General’s Shooting Response Task Force is conducting the investigation into the incident, according to its press release.

Just hours later, off-duty Baltimore Police Sergeant Isaac Carrington was shot repeatedly as he was standing outside his Summerfield Avenue home talking to his neighbor, WEAA reported.

The attack occurred at approximately 3:34 p.m., when a masked suspect jumped out of a passing vehicle and pointed a gun at the 43-year-old sergeant and his neighbor.

The gunman ordered the men to give him their valuables, at which point the neighbor threw his belongings onto the ground and fled, WEAA reported.

Sgt. Carrington ran in the opposite direction, but the gunman chased after him, then shot him multiple times.

The suspect then got back into the vehicle and fled the area.

Sgt. Carrington was rushed to the University of Maryland Medical Center Shock Trauma, where he immediately underwent surgery, WEAA reported.

He was “slightly more stable” after the procedure but has a “long, protracted course ahead,” Dr. Thomas Scalea explained during a press conference on Thursday evening, according to The Baltimore Sun.

The 22-year veteran-of-the-force is currently on life support, having suffered gunshot wounds to the torso and some of his extremities, Scalea said.

The suspects remain on the loose and a reward of up to $19,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest, WBFF reported.

“More than any time, we need community support and information about who committed this heinous and cowardly act,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison in a news conference.

“He’s a father. He is a husband,” Baltimore Mayor Jack Young added. “He is an officer that actually lives in the city of Baltimore.”

The third attack occurred near Gaston, Oregon, after a homeowner reported that someone had broken in and stolen at least two firearms, the Associated Press reported.

The suspect then walked off into the woods, prompting a search of the area.

A tactical negotiations team, K9 units, and air support aided in the search, and the suspect was located near Southwest Scoggins Valley Road less than three hours later, KGW reported.

Washington County Sheriff Pat Garret said that the gunman opened fire on law enforcement at approximately 5:30 p.m. and wounded two Washington County deputies, according to The Oregonian.

The team immediately returned fire and the suspect later surrendered after having been shot.

The unnamed deputies were rushed to a local hospital.

Sheriff Garrett said one deputy is in serious condition and the second suffered a non-life-threatening wound, The Oregonian reported.

The department also tweeted that the more severely injured deputy’s “prognosis is encouraging and he is receiving excellent care.”

The gunman’s condition was not released, The Oregonian reported.

Holly Matkin - August Fri, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."