Bellevue, NE – A gunman murdered two Sonic employees and wounded three others during a mass shooting at the Bellevue Sonic on Saturday night, according to police.
Police first had contact with the suspect, 23-year-old Roberto Silva, on Nov. 18, when a caller from out-of-state reported that someone had used their Sonic app to purchase $57 worth of food at the Sonic restaurant on Cornhusker Road, WRTV reported.
An officer who happened to be in the area at the time of the report spotted Silva’s vehicle driving away from the scene and pulled him over, according to police.
Silva was subsequently arrested on a charge of identity theft less than $500, WRTV reported.
Investigators allegedly located three guns inside the suspect’s vehicle at the time of his arrest and impounded them as evidence.
Silva had a valid concealed carry license at the time of his arrest, according to police.
At approximately 9:23 p.m. on Nov. 21, Bellevue police received a report that there was possibly a bomb inside a moving truck parked in the Sonic parking lot, the Bellevue Police Department (BPD) said in a press release on Sunday.
The caller reported that the U-Haul truck was on fire, and that there were tubes and wires hanging out of the back end of the vehicle, WRTV reported.
One minute later, someone called 911 and said shots had been fired in the area.
BPD officers arrived at the scene two minutes later, and quickly identified and apprehended the alleged gunman, WRTV reported.
Police found four firearms at the scene, but noted that Silva was not armed when he was arrested and was completely cooperative with officers.
Meanwhile, another team of officers entered the Sonic and discovered that four employees had been shot, WRTV reported.
Nathan Pastrana, 22, and Ryan Helbert, 28, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Kenneth Germe, 25, and Zoey Reese Atalig Lujan, 18, were rushed to University of Nebraska Medical Center in critical condition, BPD Lt. Andy Jashinske told reporters on Sunday, according to WRTV.
An unnamed fifth victim suffered minor injuries, Lt. Jashinske said.
No officers were injured while taking Silva into custody.
Here’s a look at the footage from the arrest at Sonic. pic.twitter.com/v03px1f1fn
— Courtney Johns (@CourtneyJohnsTV) November 23, 2020
Police said the U-Haul burned up during the incident, WRTV reported.
Investigators did not find a bomb inside, according to CNN.
— DaLaun Dillard (@DDillardTV) November 22, 2020
“We would like to offer our condolences to the family of those that are deceased, as well as our personal thoughts to those who are still in the hospital, they’re still recuperating,” Lt. Jashinske said, according to KETV. “They’re in our thoughts and minds that this evening.”
Sonic said in a statement on Sunday that it was “stunned and saddened” by the horrific attack, USA Today reported.
“Our heartfelt condolences go out to the franchise owner and the families and friends impacted by this horrific tragedy,” the company said.
Silva has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, four counts of use of a firearm to commit a felony, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, and one county of first-degree arson, KMTV reported.
He’s being held in the Sarpy County Jail without bond.