Humble, TX – A Harris County third grader suffering from cerebral palsy was bullied and knocked from his wheelchair after he dressed up as a police officer for career day at school.
Eight-year-old Michael Martinez remained calm after the older students assaulted him in the crowded hallway, KTRK reported.
Other classmates helped the disabled child back into his wheelchair.
But when Harris County constables heard about what had happened to the wheelchair-bound child, they were horrified, KTRK reported.
The very next day, Martinez was driven to school in his police uniform riding shotgun in a deputy constable’s patrol vehicle with other police vehicles escorting them.
On Friday, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg and a group of law enforcement officers held a ceremony and gave Martinez credentials making him an honorary criminal investigator for the DA’s office, KTRK reported.
“Honorary badges are given to recipients who embody the characteristics required of every peace officer and first responder: courage, strength, kindness and resilience,” Ogg told the boy at a swearing-in ceremony. “We are presenting these honorary titles to this young man who, although not of age to be a peace officer, has taught us all about how to be brave in the face of adversity.”
He was sworn in as deputy into multiple offices in Harris County including Precinct 1 Constable Alan Rosen, Precinct 3 Constable Sherman Eagleton, Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman, Precinct 5 Constable Ted Heap, Precinct 6 Constable Silvia Trevino, and Precinct 8 Constable Phil Sandlin, KTRK reported.
Houston Fire Department’s Chief Sam Pena also swore Martinez in as a junior firefighter.
Martinez’s new titles are Honorary District Attorney’s Investigator, Honorary Deputy Constable, and Junior Firefighter, according to KTRK.
This isn’t the first time that Martinez has shown incredible bravery.
He saved his entire family from carbon monoxide poisoning during the horrible winter freeze in February of 2021, KTRK reported.
Martinez climbed out of his wheelchair and crawled up the stairs of his home to wake his family when the carbon monoxide detector in their home went off.