• Search

3 NYPD Cops Wounded In Machete Terror Attack Near New Year’s Eve Ball Drop In Times Square

New York, NY – A 19-year-old alleged aspiring terrorist attacked three New York City police officers with a machete near the city’s New Year’s Eve ball drop festivities at Times Square on Saturday night, fracturing one officer’s skull and leaving a second officer with a severe gash to his head, according to investigators.

Authorities said the suspect, Trevor Bickford, had expressed interest in fighting alongside Islamist terrorists overseas and had recently been placed on an FBI terror watchlist, CBS News reported.

The attacks occurred on 8th Avenue between 51st Street and 52nd Street shortly after 10 p.m. on Dec. 31, WPIX reported.

The location is approximately eight blocks away from the Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop event, and just outside of the secured zone where partygoers were being scanned for weapons, according to the Associated Press.

Bickford allegedly pulled out a machete and attacked the three New York City police officers, fracturing one officer’s skull and leaving a second officer with a substantial head wound before an officer ended the assault by shooting Bickford in his shoulder, CBS News reported.

The officer who suffered a fractured skull had recently joined the New York Police Department (NYPD) and was on his first shift, according to NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell.

He just graduated from the police academy on Dec. 30, WPIX reported.

The second injured officer is an eight-year veteran of the department.

They were both rushed to a local hospital for treatment, CBS News reported.

It is unclear what injuries the third officer suffered, but all three officers are expected to recover, an NYPD spokesperson told the news outlet on Sunday.

Bickford is expected to survive his gunshot wound.

Commissioner Sewell said the attack was completely unprovoked.

Investigators believe Bickford, a resident of Wells, Maine, traveled to New York City earlier in the week, according to the Associated Press.

It is unclear if he came to the city specifically to carry out the attack.

Police and federal investigators have been coming through the suspect’s online activity as they work to pinpoint a motive, the Associated Press reported.

The FBI Joint Terrorist Task Force is investigating the incident, but investigators said they believe Bickford acted alone.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he spoke with one of the wounded officers at that hospital on Sunday and that he was in “good spirits,” the Associated Press reported.

“He understood that his role saved lives of New Yorkers today,” Adams said.

“We’re really pleased by the response and how our officers handled this situation,” the mayor added, according to CBS News. “All three of the officers are in stable conditions and there are no credible threats to New Yorkers at this time.”

The NYPD Detectives’ Endowment Association also released a statement about the attack on Saturday, WPIX reported.

“Detectives and fellow cops face grave danger every day, and #NewYearsEve is no different,
the association said. “They’re courageously fighting violence across the city — including the NYPD officers who were assaulted tonight and fortunately recovering.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."