• Search

3 Buffalo Police Officers Shot During Vehicle Pursuit

Buffalo, NY – Three Buffalo police officers were shot during a lengthy high-speed chase that traveled through several areas of Buffalo on Tuesday night, according to police.

The incident began at approximately 6 p.m. on March 29, when an officer stopped a vehicle on East Ferry Street, WHAM reported.

The officer spoke with the driver briefly before the driver sped away from the stop, triggering a pursuit, according to police.

Officers chased the fleeing suspect northbound on Niagara Street, where one suspect bailed out and took off on foot, The Buffalo News reported.

The suspect vehicle then continued on to Routes 198 and 33, WIVB reported.

A gunman inside the fleeing vehicle opened fire on police on Bailey Avenue, shooting one officer through the windshield, according to police.

A second officer was shot in his ballistic vest, WGRZ reported.

The chase ended at the intersection of North Fillmore Avenue and East Ferry Street, directing in front of the Buffalo Police Department’s (BPD) Ferry-Fillmore District station, according to The Buffalo News.

A third police officer was shot in the ear and bicep during an ensuing exchange of gunfire with the suspects, WGRZ reported.

One of the suspects was also wounded, according to police.

A second suspect was taken into custody.

The wounded officers were rushed to Erie County Medical Center (ECMC), where one officer was taken into emergency surgery, The Buffalo News reported.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said the officer has since been listed in stable condition.

The other two officers who were shot did not suffer life-threatening injures and are continuing to recover.

No information was released regarding the condition of the wounded suspect.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown told reporters the suspects “showed absolutely no regard for the community,” WIVB reported.

“I’m certainly very pleased that two suspects are in custody because these are very clearly very dangerous people,” Brown said.

The mayor said he is extremely thankful that no members of the public were injured during the chaos, according to The Buffalo News.

Erie County District Attorney John Flynn said it is far too early in the investigation to pinpoint the exact charges the suspects will face, WIVB reported.

“It was a long chase,” Flynn noted, according to The Buffalo News “There will be numerous charges, but they might not be until a later date.”

Commissioner Gramaglia said the pursuit was conducted within the parameters of the BPD’s pursuit policy, The Buffalo News reported.

He said investigators are still working to determine whether or not any businesses or residences were hit by gunfire during the chase.

Bystanders captured portions of the incident with their cell phones, according to police.

“There are far too many guns illegally possessed in the hands of people who should not have them,” Commissioner Gramaglia said Tuesday night, according to The Buffalo News. “They need to spend time in prison.”

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of The Police Tribune’s posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."