Newport News, VA – Two students were shot and two more students were injured on Monday morning at Heritage High School in Newport News.
The incident occurred at about 11:38 a.m. on Sept. 20 at the high school located in the 5800-block of Marshall Avenue, WAVY reported.
Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew said two 17-year-old students had been shot.
WAVY reported that three more students had sustained non-gunshot related injuries in the chaos afterwards.
All of the victims were transported to nearby hospitals.
Chief Drew said a male student was shot in the face and a female student was shot in the lower leg, WAVY reported.
He said their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
The gunman has not yet been apprehended, according to the police chief.
Police from multiple law enforcement agencies have responded to Heritage High School and a large perimeter has been set up around the high school and a nearby fire station, WVEC reported.
The school has been placed on lockdown.
Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Norfolk field office have also responded to the scene to assist.
Police said they were reviewing surveillance video footage and evidence recovered from the scene in their search for the gunman, ABC News reported.
Authorities have said they believe there was some kind of altercation between the gunman and his victims prior to the shooting, and they don’t believe the suspect is a threat to other members of the community.
Chief Drew has gone to the hospital to assist with interviewing the wounded students, WAVY reported.
The Newport News Police Department said the school had been evacuated and parents could meet up with their students at the tennis courts.
Achievable Dream Academy, which is located nearby, also remained on lockdown as the investigation and hunt for the shooter continued, WAVY reported.
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam posted that his office had been in contact with the police at the scene.
My team and I are in close contact with first responders at Heritage High School in Newport News.
As more information becomes available, please avoid the area and follow all instructions from law enforcement.
— Governor Ralph Northam (@GovernorVA) September 20, 2021
And U.S. Senator Mark Warner (D-Virginia) also tweeted that he was monitoring the situation.
Closely monitoring the horrifying reports of a shooting at Heritage High School in Newport News. Praying for the health and safety of all involved as we wait to learn more.
— Mark Warner (@MarkWarner) September 20, 2021
HAPPENING NOW: Newport News Police investigating shooting at high school.
Authorities are on the scene of a shooting at Heritage High School. Students are being evacuated — and sent to tennis courts, said police.
Parents can meet children there. pic.twitter.com/Svo4rGx4oz
— Eugene Daniel 13News Now (@eugenedanielTV) September 20, 2021
This information from the report given by Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew on Wavy News 10 as of 1:30pm today regarding the major incident at Heritage High School. pic.twitter.com/f9WqFhIFZV
— Mekial Myers Returns👺🔪 (@iamneyoprince) September 20, 2021
There's been another school shooting: Two people have reportedly been shot at Heritage High School in Newport News, Virginia. pic.twitter.com/5VnECGscb0
— The Recount (@therecount) September 20, 2021
This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of The Police Tribune’s posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.