• Search

2 Braintree Officers In Surgery, K9 Dead After Ambush Attack

Braintree, MA – A Braintree police K9 was killed and two officers are currently in surgery after a fugitive “ambushed” them in a heavily-wooded area on Friday, Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey told reporters on Friday afternoon.

The incident began after police received a report of a domestic disturbance near the Braintree Village apartments off Commercial Street and McCusker Drive shortly after 1 p.m., WCVB reported.

The suspect, described as a male in his 30s with warrants out for his arrest, took off into a nearby wooded area armed with at least two handguns, Braintree Police Chief Mark Dubois said during the joint press conference with Morrissey.

Responding officers had been told the suspect was armed.

The heavily-wooded area the suspect fled into is next to one of the most densely-populated areas of town and backs up to a commuter rail, Morrissey said.

Due to the potential risk of harm the gunman posed to innocent civilians, the officers headed into the woods after him.

The suspect, who had been out in the woods for about 45 minutes after the initial call was made, was lying in wait when police came in after him.

The officers were approximately 100 yards into the wooded area when the suspect ambushed them, Morrissey said.

Two officers were shot multiple times during the attack.

Braintree police K9 Kitt, a 12-year veteran of the department, was mortally wounded.

The gunman was also shot during the incident.

Additional officers arrived at the scene within minutes and carried the wounded officers and the wounded suspect out of the densely-wooded area.

The suspect was transported to Milton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The wounded officers were also rushed to area hospitals and taken in to surgery.

Both officers suffered multiple gunshot wounds during the attack, Chief Dubois confirmed.

“We are hoping for the best,” Morrissey said, regarding the officers’ odds of survival. “We think things are going well, but say a prayer.”

Chief Dubois said the victim of the domestic disturbance is safe and uninjured.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of The Police Tribune’s posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."