Tulsa, OK – A 17-year-old boy was killed and three other people were wounded after an unidentified gunman opened fire at a high school football homecoming game on Friday night, according to police.
The attack occurred outside McCain High School at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 30, KJRH reported.
One student was pronounced dead at the scene, according to KOTV.
He was later identified as Terron Yarbrough, KJRH reported.
A second 17-year-old student was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, according to KOKI.
The wounded student’s identity was not immediately released, KOTV reported.
The Tulsa Police Department (TPD) confirmed on Monday that two other people were also wounded in the attack.
Those victims – a nine-year-old girl and a 20-year-old woman – were both treated at a local hospital and have since been released to continue their recoveries at home, KOTV reported.
TPD Chief Wendell Franklin said the young girl and the 20-year-old woman took themselves to the hospital, according to KOKI.
Investigators said they did not locate a weapon at the scene of the attack.
They said no one had been arrested in connection with the deadly shooting as of Monday, and it is unclear whether or not a suspect has been identified, KOTV reported.
The shooting occurred just after the visiting Miami High School football team defeated McCain High School, KOTV reported.
The players were lined up and shaking hands when three gunshots rang out, Miami High School Senior Eric McKibben told the news outlet.
“I kinda like froze because right away I knew what it was,” McKibben recalled. “But at the same time, it was like I just didn’t expect it and there was like a million thoughts going through my head and then the guy I was shaking hands with, we were still like, had our hands together and he looks at me and he’s like, ‘Run!'”
The players sprinted to the visiting team’s sideline and took cover near the stands for several minutes before reaching the safety of the locker room, KOTV reported.
“Last night’s events are a tragedy for our Tulsa Public Schools family: for our students, team members, parents, and families; for the families of the young people directly involved, and for the entire Tulsa community,” Tulsa Public Schools (TPS) said in a statement on Saturday. “The McLain team is working with our district Student and Family Support Services team to make sure we have crisis support available for students when classes resume on Monday.”
Oklahoma State Superintendent of Public Instruction Joy Hofmeister also released a statement in the wake of the attack.
“Our hearts are with the McLain, Miami, and Tulsa Public Schools communities following last night’s tragedy and violence,” Hofmeister said, according to KOTV. “We stand together with students, families, and school communities to assist and support them in the coming days and weeks.”
Miami High School announced it will no longer travel to McLain for athletic matchups, KOTV reported.
“I don’t think we should play there again. And that’s what I feel bad about,” McKibben told the news outlet. “We don’t have to play there again, but McLain has to keep playing there. That’s their stadium. So those kids have to keep going there.”
“They want the same thing I want, which is just to play football,” he added.
Classes at McLain high school were canceled on both Monday and Tuesday in the wake of the deadly shooting, KOTV reported.
No other details regarding the shooting investigation were immediately released.