Washington, DC – The 15-year-old girl who killed an Uber Eats driver with her 13-year-old friend when they carjacked him in downtown DC in March was sentenced on Friday to a juvenile facility until she turns 21, the maximum allowable sentence.
The carjacking occurred at about 4:30 p.m. on March 23 near Nationals Park and the Navy Yard Metro station, WTTG reported.
Police said that girls were both armed with stun guns when they carjacked 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar.
A cell phone video filmed by a bystander showed Anwar hanging out of his car screaming for help.
“This is my car!” Anwar yelled as one of the girls in his car stomped on the gas and fled the area with the car’s owner hanging out the driver’s door, the video showed.
The girl sideswiped a metal barrier and a light pole with the driver’s side of Anwar’s car.
The video showed the car door was still open and slammed on Anwar multiple times.
The car careened down the block in the video and out of view, and then a split-second later, the video picked up the sound of a terrible crunch as the vehicle crashed and flipped over.
The person filming the video ran down the street where some National Guard soldiers were helping the teen girls out of the wrecked vehicle.
Anwar’s body had been thrown from the vehicle when it crashed, and he lay unmoving 15 feet from it against a gate on the sidewalk.
He did not appear to be conscious or moving in the video.
“They stole the car! They stole the car, these girls,” the guy filming told the National Guardsmen when he got to the wrecked vehicle.
Both of the girls were arrested at the scene, WTTG reported.
Anwar died of the injuries he sustained at the juveniles’ hands.
His family said he was the loving father of three and had immigrated to the United States from Pakistan to give his family a better life, WTTG reported.
The girls were each charged with felony murder and armed carjacking (stun guns).
One of the juveniles, whose names were not released due to their ages, is a repeat offender, WTTG reported.
“We also know that at least one of them had been arrested in something very similar back in January where they were arrested for that as well,” DC Metropolitan Police Commander Ramey Kyle told reporters. “So it does seem there was a pattern there.”
Sources told WTTG that suspect had been accused of involvement in several robberies and multiple carjackings.
“This current carjacking and robbery uptick we can definitely say that many of those crimes are being committed by juveniles,” Cmdr. Kyle said.
DC Metropolitan Police Acting Chief Robert Contee called the “tragedy” of Anwar’s death just one of many this year in the nation’s capital, WTTG reported.
“That’s one of many. We have one for that particular – one of the individuals involved, but there are several carjackings that we have had so far this year where we’re seeing individuals that are involved in multiple, multiple cases,” Chief Contee said.
“So clearly I think that speaks to us really examining, as a community, the accountability that’s in place,” he said. “You know, how is it that someone is charged with carjacking or is responsible for carjacking commits another carjacking and another carjacking? I think it’s the larger issue than just this one particular case.”
The chief said he wanted to see accountability but then said he didn’t think the 15-year-old girl who killed Anwar should be tried as an adult, WTTG reported.
“The 15-year-old would not be charged as an adult,” he said. “You know, obviously, this is a tragic case and, you know, charging this person as an adult [who’s] a juvenile … does not bring back the lost loved one in this case.”
“And certainly, again, the 15-year-old would not be eligible as a Title 16 case,” Chief Contee added. “You know, and it’s not really pointing fingers at anyone – the courts or anyone.”
The girls were ultimately not charged as adults and have both pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in plea deals negotiated with prosecutors, WTOP reported.
Anwar’s family gave victim impact statements during the virtual sentencing hearing on June 4.
His niece said the nightmare of Anwar’s death was ongoing because his family continued to see video footage of his death all over the Internet, WTOP reported.
“There are nights we cannot sleep, and the horrific video replays in our heads over and over and over again,” she told the court. “We are haunted by the image of his broken, crumpled body on lying on the pavement and him struggling to move.”
The girl apologized to her victim’s family at the virtual sentencing, WTOP reported.
“No matter how much stuff I’ve been through, I would never intentionally murder somebody or I would never intentionally hurt somebody,” the 15-year-old said. “None of this was intentionally. I never would have thought that this would go this way. I just want them to know that I apologize. If I could take it back I would.”
Anwar’s daughter told the teenager who killed her father that she was not forgiven, WTOP reported.
“I can never, and will never, forgive you for the pain you caused him,” the dead man’s daughter told his 15-year-old killer. “How do I console my mother who sits silently all day since March 23rd?”
Prosecutor Bonnie Lindemann asked Judge Lynn Leibovitz to give the girl the harshest possible sentence, WTOP reported.
“We are here because of the choices the respondent made on March 23, 2021,” Lindemann said. “While we do not believe she intended to kill him, that does not make it an accident. The respondent chose to help her co-respondent steal a car. She could have told her co-respondent that this was enough and it was time to stop. The respondent didn’t do that.”
Public defender Ed Shacklee asked the court to keep the girl’s age in mind when she was sentenced, according to WTOP.
“Tragic things can happen when you don’t think about all the consequences, especially when you’re doing something wrong,” Shacklee said. “That is something that we as adults know, and it’s something that young people need to learn. Sometimes young people that have had a lot of challenges in their life learn it too late. That is why we’re here today.”
He pointed out that the 15-year-old defendant had been quick to enter a guilty plea after she realized she had killed Anwar, WTOP reported.
Leibovitz sentenced the girl to confinement by the Department of Youth Rehabilitative Services until she turns 21.
The judge said it was “the maximum sentence I can impose,” WTOP reported.
The 13-year-old girl is scheduled for sentencing in July.