Hartford, CT – Police found 100 bags of fentanyl at the home of a 13-year-old boy who died during the school day at The Sport and Medical Sciences Academy.
The Seventh Grade student was found unconscious in the magnet school building located in the 200-block of Huyshope Avenue in Hartford on Jan. 13, CNN reported.
The 13 year old was rushed to the hospital for treatment but died two days later on Jan. 15.
Two more seventh graders who came into contact with the fentanyl and became ill were also transported from the school to the hospital for treatment, CNN reported.
Police said both of those boys recovered and were later released.
Authorities searched the school after the boy’s overdose and found at least 40 bags of fentanyl spread across multiple locations at the school, NBC News reported.
A search of the 13-year-old boy’s home turned up 100 more bags of fentanyl.
“We can confidently say that the fentanyl that caused the overdose was the same fentanyl that was located in the juvenile’s bedroom,” Hartford police said in a press release. “At this time, we have found no evidence that anyone other than the deceased juvenile brought the fentanyl to school.”
Officials said investigators are looking into where the boy who died got the drugs and said he had no history of narcotics use, CNN reported.
Police said the 13 year old’s mother was cooperating with the investigation but at this time there were no suspects.
The boy’s death has prompted calls for Hartford public schools to stock Narcan for overdose emergencies, WFSB reported.
“We should be thinking about how we can make it available in schools, in other city buildings, really anywhere and everywhere where the city has reach. We should be making it available and we should be training our folks to administer it,” Hartford City Councilman Joshua Michtom said at a meeting held with families of students to address the tragedy.
Classes were cancelled for several days while professional cleaners decontaminated the entire school building, WFSB reported.
Air filters were also installed in the areas where the bags of fentanyl were found.